Thursday, October 1, 2020

How can I possibly forgive what happened in history?


I am from a supposedly lower caste in Hindu system. I was born in Nepal, and even though I am from a relatively richer family compared to other people from my ethnic group, I have seen and faced discrimination all my life. My close friend who lived in Kathmandu with his college friends was forced to evict after his friends found out that he's from an untouchable caste. These are well-educated people mind you. Even the ones who appear to be welcoming to the idea of the revolution, have a degree of prejudice. For example, during my college years, there was a very popular student leader who called himself a communist, flew hammer&sickle in his home, gave speches about equality and all that. But when I sat down to talk with him and we started talking about caste, he did have a level of prejudice. Of course, he said caste system is wrong and all that, but he still said shit like he's proud of his caste, and even after the revolution caste shouldn't be abolished, only the caste system should. It really struck me. He started preaching revisionist history about how caste system didn't exist at the beginning of Hinduism but it was implemented by bourgeoisie who mired for power. And there are a lot more incidents like these. For example, Nepalese Prime Minister, despite being from a Marxist-Leninist party said he's proud of his caste, and the communist leaders (who are almost all from higher caste) while making the constitution managed to sneak in a provision that Hindu values should be upheld by the state. And this incident didn't even break the news except for a few stints in regional papers.Now that I think about it, caste system has existed for at least 3,000 years, could be even longer. There's a high possibility that it has been engrained into the DNA of these people because it's a long enough period to start a level of evolution. And what makes it worse in Nepal is caste system clearly has an ethnic divide. In many parts of India, it's impossibly hard to distinguish a high caste and a lower caste. But in Nepal it's clear cut, the higher caste look Indo-Aryan, with sharp noses, bigger eyes, more body hair etc and lower caste look East/South-East Asian or mixed with smaller eyes, less body hair, differently shaped noses. So unlike in India, we can't just change our surname and be done with it. Most people from my community have the same fear, despite whatever system of politics we go through, we'll still be discriminated. That's why many of us protested to have our own seperate ethno-state, but our protests were brutally supressed. How do I go about believing in equality when the other side of people are clearly prejudiced. I don't want to be associated with a group of people who have supressed my ancestors for thousands of years. What's not to say history will not repeat itself? via /r/communism https://ift.tt/2GqBTcH

No comments:

Post a Comment