Wednesday, November 11, 2020

my best friend just got a lucrative job offer in finance. This makes me really uncomfortable but I don't want to cut him off. Should I try and convince him that this is a bad idea? What do I do?


Hi comrades. I'm using a throwaway since he knows my reddit account name and I want to keep this private. I was hoping that you could help me with this dilemma. my closest friend just got a very lucrative job offer as an analyst for a hedge fund (as in, likely will be making 6 figures right away and potentially a lot more). For obvious reasons I find that industry to be despicable, but he is planning on taking it since in his view it's both more interesting and lucrative than other potential career options. He said that worst comes to worst he can work 15 years or so in that field and then retire to do whatever he wants in life and pursue passion projects.​I can kind of understand where he is coming from, as he has always been a hard worker and I want him to have a good life, but it leaves a sour taste in my mouth that one of my closest friends and someone I have a lot of respect for will be working for and enabling the type of leeches that ruin society. He has always been pretty staunchly in favor of capitalism but holds some beliefs that give me hope that I can persuade him to become more leftist (for example, he believes in very wide social safety nets, universal health care, and even UBI, though still in the context of a free market). I just don't know if I should try and convince him to decline the job offer and look to work in a more ethical field, or if I should just accept that ultimately he is stuck in the same capitalist hellhole as the rest of us and if he found a way to use the system to guarantee that he will lead a comfortable life then I should be happy for him. I feel very conflicted over all of this, any advice? via /r/communism https://ift.tt/2IsaE2R

No comments:

Post a Comment