Saturday, April 25, 2020

Confused and old

So I'm a bisexual identifying person, who is starting to feel like just a old fart. I describe my sexuality the same way pansexual folks do: I am attracted to people regardless of gender. I can't help but feel I'm just not keeping up with the times. Below is a list of concerns with embracing the pan label. I really want people to give me a fresh perspective and challenge me. 1) Many bi folks have done amazing work under the label bisexual and I feel a bit disrespectful using the word pansexual. For example, Brenda Howard "the mother of pride " was a bisexual activist. Also, all the literature on non-monosexual people is written under the word bisexual e.g: the journal of bisexuality 2) Historically the bisexual community have been the most accepting of trans people. They have not the perfect allies, but have been far more supportive than than gay folks. I'm uncomfortable with pan, because I've heard pan people call bi folks transphobic and not inclusive to non-binary people.The "Bisexual manifesto" written in 1990 states-" Do not assume there are only two genders". There are countless examples of bi people being inclusive to the trans community. I fear embracing pan implies lies about bis. 3) As a black person, I know the black community and I would fight back if people outside the black community suggested we should not use the word "black". Despite it being a less than perfect label. But it seems that non-monosexuals do not have that sense of pride. After all aren't we the B in LGBT+? Does it say something that non-monosexuals are willing to let the bi label go? Is the pan identity symptomatic of something else? Or am I just a panphobe?



Submitted April 25, 2020 at 04:09PM by KelseyGoldi https://ift.tt/354ZXdv

No comments:

Post a Comment