Tuesday, December 24, 2019

I feel like we should reject most of pop culture, nerd culture, and the Western entertainment industry


I was talking about this with some friends.I mean, Fallout has gone down the drain, Star Wars has gone down the drain, and Star Trek has gone down the drain. What do these franchises have in common? They all had either anti-capitalist messages or anti-fascist messages. But now they suck. And most of Hollywood and gaming culture sucks. Yes, yes, I know, maybe this doesn't belong here, but what I'm saying is this: it's all just corporate worship.Corporate worship is what it all is. That's what nerd culture essentially is. That's what Hollywood imagery is. That's what pop culture is. Nothing is sacred and art is dying in the West, at least as we know it. Gone are the days of good old Soviet filmography. Now I have to watch foreign film or Indie film to get some entertainment or something substantial. Yet I see too many comrades cozy up with the corporate worship. They defend the companies that exploit their workers or do harmful business practices (of course, all business practices are harmful).The entertainment industry is morally and creatively bankrupt. All you need to do is check the Twitter feeds of these Hollywood directors or game directors... They support the politics of liberals and conservatives. They want to "Free Hong Kong" or complain about Trump pulling out of Syria or some shit. Even as they say #NeverTrump, they'll say never again to the "Holodomor" and talk about Russian aggression. Sure there are a few gems here and there, but they're gems in a sewer.Maybe I'll get an "Ok boomer" type of comment. I admit that my tastes are more old-fashioned than most people I know. Even so, this corporate worship is getting out of hand and I feel like its only gotten worse over the years IMHO. Just because I like Legend of Zelda doesn't mean that I'm a "Nintendo fan." At best, I'll use the word "fan" loosely but even now I'm starting to regret ever defining myself by the companies I supported before I became a Marxist.Corporate worship is how they get you; don't let them define you. via /r/communism https://ift.tt/2rpp7Eh

No comments:

Post a Comment